Part of the campaign's Featured Artist series, a Keith Haring Fitness Court® opened at Kutztown University in the fall of 2022, just blocks away from Haring's childhood home
Berks County native, Keith Haring’s art is featured on the Kutztown University Fitness Court® just a block away from his childhood home. A successful ribbon-cutting ceremony was held in October 2022 with attendance from Haring’s family including his father and niece, along with State Sen. Judy Schwank and representatives from Kuztown Community Partnership. KU students were on hand to demonstrate the seven stations and are already integrating the Fitness Court® into the Sport Management curriculum. An inaugural Keith Haring Day was held on May 4, 2023 to celebrate Haring's birthday with a full day of fitness clinics & competitions and art walk in the community.
“We are proud that Kutztown University and the Borough of Kutztown has been one of a few sites chosen nationally for this Keith Haring facility,” said Dr. Kenneth S. Hawkinson, Kutztown University president. “The Keith Haring theme is particularly exciting, as it ties in so many strong aspects of our community, including health and fitness, art, history, education, town-gown relations, support of diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and more.”
"The Fitness Court has integrated into my curriculum because I am able to continue to push the KU community, sport management students, and athletes to use this Fitness Court," said senior sport management major Morgan Hurd. "The Fitness Court is developing to include students and community to live a happy and healthy lifestyle. Internships and fitness administration classes are developing each day to get everyone active and involved while using hands on equipment."
Read more on the tremendous success of the program since it officially launched to the Kutztown campus and greater Kutztown community in fall of 2022:
- State Sen. Judy Schwank, KU Announce $100,000 in State Grant Funding for Keith Haring Fitness Court
- Kutztown Community Partnership Dedicate Keith Haring Fitness Court
- Fitness Clinic, Competition and Art Walk at Keith Haring Fitness Court May 4
- Keith Haring Fitness Court Bestowed with 2023 Townie Award from Pennsylvania Downtown Center
- Keith Haring Fitness Court Honored with Building Berks Award for Community Innovation and Unity
- More on KU's work to integrate the Fitness Court into curriculum work and campus life